Significance of business – contest for a price. Every entrepreneur has an essential task: make a profit, which cannot be achieved without sales. Trade starts when client’s objection appears. Obviously not all commodities are necessary for clients, but they still buy it. And then the role of seller appears while the main task is to persuade client to buy.
He should convince the client with strong arguments, which acquires knowledge not only of marketing, but also of psychology. Classical marketing is to find a necessary commodity for a customer and opportunity to sell it for an appropriate price. Meanwhile, trading is a win against customers’ objections.
Trading is impossible without words. Only mature sellers understand that not the characteristics of product consist business, but personal connections. There are four levels of communication with clients: giving a commodity, giving a commodity and having an interest in customers’ needs, mass trading and coercion of real trading. The last level is almost the best description of what we are going to talk in this article. In general, the best way to make people speak – give them question, which help them to feel like an expert.
Talking about customers’ objections, there are seven groups of them: objection of changing, objection of price and outgoings, objection of technical decision and/or commercial offer, objection of satiation, emotional objection, objection of negative experience, contact objection. How to deal to each of them and eliminate customer’s unwillingness to give away the money?
First of all, there are some advices for entrepreneurs in purpose to deal with objection of price and outgoings:
- Universal way of selling things: at first, offer smaller proposal in purpose of selling bigger easier latter.
- Create generality with customer. The more we have in common with client, the more he trusts in our arguments. It is essential not to give a lot of arguments, sometimes the simplest one is enough.
- Analyze and expose only positions, where competitors’ prices are higher than yours.
- Let the customer himself to explain why your prices are higher than competitors. Maybe your business stands out because of quality and innovations?
- Sell commodities with multiple uses (2 in 1, 3 in 1, etc).
- If you cannot decrease a price, you should offer another commodity: another set of commodity, without guaranty, temporary decision, etc.
- Make the commodity familiar to the customer by giving him to hold, to try, to test it.
- Try to involve customer in such a deal that he feels pity about the time he has spent and it becomes irrational not to buy a product.
- Seller should show how much efforts he puts in. It is the way to make customer feel uncomfortable not to buy a commodity. Or make customer uncomfortable by causing a guilt. Maybe during his visit in a store, customer „accidentally” damages something or just shut the door loudly.
- Share good experience through using this commodity.
- Create a sense of competition: lots of customers compete for only one copy of commodity. In general, a row is an indication of limited accessibility and big demand.
- Involve customers’ environment in his field of interest. Maybe this commodity is necessary to his wife, children or parents?
- Show the features, which the customer did not see. Or things, which other sellers did not show in similar commodities.
- Do not show your wisdom in a wrong place and wrong time. For example, do not talk about chemical formulas if customer just wants to buy a dye.
- Materialize discount: give a gift for the customer if he is willing to buy a commodity.
- Show that commodity is comfortable, simple, qualitative (has a brand), providing pleasure, etc.
- Information about a price should be wrapped into shell of advantages and benefit.
Sometimes objections are caused by fear of new things, inertia, conservatism and traditionalism, lack of knowledge and competence, not trusting seller and his advices, unwillingness to break system of work. This type of objection is about changing the attitude, and there are some ways how to deal with it:
- Create a good indirect opinion. Such things like business cards are small, but important measures to do it.
- Organize public events to show gratitude for clients.
- Such tricks like opportunity to return, to test or to pay only if you like a service/commodity are helpful ways to persuade customers to buy.
- Seller should use commodity he sells with pleasure.
- Rename customers’ fears in purpose that it seems having nothing in common with sellers’ offer.
- Sometimes argument like „Everyone do this.” or „Everyone buys it.” are effective.
- Must connect two actions: one that customer do with pleasure and one that you are seeking him to do. Example from casual life „If you are going to walk, go to buy a bread.” could be excellently adapted in trading.
- Let customer to get used to you.
- Link commodity with nationalism. For example: „Buy German products!”.
- Cause a senses of frivolity and volubility in case of relaxing the customer.
Objection of technical decision and/or commercial proposal also exists and causes problems to sellers. Objection to technical decision is inappropriate construction, material, complexation, effectiveness, etc. Objection of commercial proposal includes inappropriate payment form, term of guarantee, postponement, etc. There are methods to avoid these objections:
- Involve the customer into creation of mutual final decision, in order to cause thoughts about buying in customer’s mind. It should not be caused by external sources.
- At first, do not propose the best offer to the customer. The third offer should be the most suitable.
- Do not list all features, which commodity has. Instead of it show its benefits.
- Show the difference between current customer’s condition and condition if he buys the commodity. You need to find out opportunities, set incentives, stimulate interests, touch secret needs of customer, show benefits.
- Transform commodity into service. For example, sell learning, not book; or fuel transfusion, not petrol.
- Create generality with customer. For example, you could say: „Like the engineer to the engineer I can say…”.
- Exalt advantages, which are elementary, but competitors do not advertise them. For example: „Before filling the bottles with bear, we evaporate them.”. Everyone do this!
- Identify if the customer is an innovator or a conservator. You need to ask him a question about choice of certain group of products.
Objection of satiation is conditioned by satiation of your products, competitors’ products or surrogates. Essence of fighting this objection is enticing customer from competitors. Ways of reaching it:
- Be the second option if competitor fails.
- Pretend you do not have competitors.
- Tell everything you know about competitors and pretend you are helping them.
- Tell your customer what competitors are talking about you.
- Expose how competitors cheat on the customer.
- Start to sell competitors’ products.
- Narrow your business.
- Force customer to collect reserves.
Emotional objection consists of grievance, rumors, hidden animosity or customers’ unfriendly attitude. Also classic conflict topics: race, nationality, religion, politics, sport, hobby, etc. There are rules how to fight with emotional objections:
- Do not use logical arguments to answer to emotional appeal. Emotional arguments always win.
- Show that you are capable of listening, hear out a customer, help him to relax, remove irritative moments, worry together with a client, be patient, temper your character, do not let conflicts and critics appear, ask questions.
- Become friends with your client. The best way to do it – find a mutual enemy.
- Saying that customer is right pushes him into field of common interests, saying he is wrong – pushes into field of conflicts.
Objection of negative experience is caused by inappropriate behavior of sellers, guilt of another business representative, which customers compare to you, various claims, complaints, scandals. It is essential to demonstrate understanding, feelings, to help customer to imagine real facts according to primary opinions, mitigate customers’ accusations by rephrasing them, apologizing. Also you can compensate loss twice or threefold and blame manufacturer or supplier.
There is a group of objections, which describes relations between seller and customer. Objection of situation involves inappropriate place, time and conditions of offer. Personal opposition is caused by personal seller and customer incompatibility. The only way to avoid these type of objection is to be interested in your customer, watch him, think about your purpose, what is needed to win, organize actions and implement them later. All depends on the situation.
All in all, sometimes sales do not occur because of sellers’ guilt, sometimes because of customers’ needs, objections, attitude and many other things. Seller’s task is to deal with all of it. And it requires not only competence in trading and marketing, but also skills in communication and psychology. To become a good seller is the first step to became a good entrepreneur, because sales are the main driving force of business.